Prior to beginning his 20+ year legal career, Kermit Kendrick was a 4-year starter, All-SEC and All-American football player at the University of Alabama football team. His playing days have molded a competitive spirit and commitment to excellence that guides his legal counsel and resolution of complex litigation matters for clients. In his committed legal advocacy, Kermit leverages the values collegiate athletics teaches athletes, including hard work, preparation, perseverance, teamwork and courage.
Even before attending law school at the University of Alabama, he gained close experience with the business of college athletics serving as a compliance officer for approximately two years at the university’s Athletic Department.
While at the University of Alabama, Kermit earned All-SEC honors in 1987, and in 1988, he was selected as an All-American. Kermit is especially thankful for having been the first winner of the Sylvester Croom Commitment to Excellence Award while at Alabama. During law school, Kermit received the Jerome Hoffman Leadership Award and was a member of the Farrah Law Society. In addition, he was selected for membership in the Bench & Bar Legal Honor Society.
Kermit practices in the firm’s Litigation Section where he defends all types of litigation. In addition to counseling student athletes and business is disputes arising from name, image and likeness agreements, he has extensive experience handling a wide range of complex litigation issues, including insurance defense, personal injury, wrongful death, toxic exposure, and property damage matters.
Kermit’s also handles litigation matters in three primary areas outside of sports litigation:
(1) Consumer financial services including representing mortgage lenders, banks, short and long-term lenders, on-line lenders, and vehicle finance entities.
(2) Employment related claims such as those brought under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and work-related injuries.
(3) Defense of transportation entities, including trucking companies, short line and regional railroads, in an array of litigation matters including actions brought under the Federal Employers’ Liability Act, claims for indemnification, insurance-related claims, and unique employment issues and actions. Kermit has successfully tried a number of cases in Federal and State courts and has also handled a number of arbitration matters.
Additionally, from 2019-2021, Kermit served as the City Attorney for the City of Meridian, Mississippi. In his capacity as City Attorney, Kermit managed the City’s outside counsel at multiple law firms and served as chief legal adviser to the executive branch of the local government.
After receiving his Accounting degree, and before going to Law School, Kermit joined Merrill Lynch, where he secured a Series 7 license and worked as a financial consultant.
Kermit’s leadership and his desire to provide support to charities in the Southeast are demonstrated by his involvement in a number of organizations. Kermit’s litigation skills were recognized in connection with being selected as a future lead litigator for CSX Transportation, Inc.
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America, Railroad Law (2014-2021)
- Best Lawyers in America, “Lawyer of the Year,” Railroad Law, Birmingham, Alabama (2017 & 2019)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, Civil Litigation Defense (2017-2019)
- The Foundry Rescue Mission, Board Member
- Sunrise Rotary Club, Board Member
- The “A” Club Alumni Association, Executive Board Member & Chair-Elect
- National Association of Trial Counsel, Executive Committee Member